Tuesday 29 June 2010

Primary Research

Firstly, for my primary research I produced a questionnaire which is shown above, I gave thirty to people who I believed would be interested in the work I am going to produce. The individual who was doing the questionnaire had to tick a box which links to the question and their personal respected opinion. The questions included:
  • Gender?

  • Age?

  • UK Tribe?

  • Favourite Drink?

  • Favourite clothes brand?

  • Favourite Music genre?

  • Favourite Film genre?

  • How long should a trailer be?
  • Do you like ‘Cliff hangers’?

  • What shot type should be used for a film poster?
  • How many pictures should be used for the front cover of a magazine?
I thought hard about the questions to ask my audience because they need to realte to what I am trying to create and help me with my technique during production. I produced these questions because they helped me get to know the audience better, they helped me identify the type of film they liked seeing and what it contains, the questions helped me identify what the audience wanted to see when I produce my products. For example the audience would rather see a cliff hanger than not see one, also the audience would rather see 2 pictures on the front cover in contrast to one or three. As you can see, I produced my questions with a lot of care because I wanted to get the most out of my audience, as you can see I have come up with a lot of conclusions from my research which I can put into my production to make it better and more pleasing from an audience's point of view.


I know that asking only 30 people didn't represent the whole of the audience's view but it gave me a rough outline of getting to know the audience better so my products can satisfy them better. So the information that I gathered was easier to understand I produced pie charts and a bar graph for areas of my research...


The information I recorded helped me see what I could do to make my products better for the audience. Also, businesses may be interested in advertising in my products because the questionnaire identified the target audience for possible businesses willing to advertise in it, for example the audience preferred coke to any other drink and their favourite brand was Fred Perry. The information I received will also help me produce my products now because I have a better idea of what the audience want, for example I found out that the audience prefer trailers that end in 'cliff hangers', that trailers should last around 61 - 90 seconds and a magazine front cover should contain around 3 pictures.

In my primary research I invited a number of possible viewers of the genre youth/crime and asked them to give me their feedback on posters of the youth/crime genre which I showed them. I asked them to comment on different magazine covers which I showed them as well. The focus

group is shown on the right. So I could get the most out of this focus group I asked them questions about the technical construction of them, the aesthetic appeal, the content, what would they like to see done differently and why and the characters involved. Asking all these different questions helped me identify what people want to see in a product and how I can copy the positive bits of these products and endorse them into mine. For my focus group I firstly showed them two front covers which I asked them to compare and give both postive and negative feedback on, the front covers were....


























Drew Armstrong said "I like both pictures for the front covers, they both look like they have been a snap -shot from the film because of the mise-en-scene, this also helps to see the genre of the film which is being described."

Francis Finn said "I think the 'total film' cover needs more sell lines, it doesn't inform me what the magazine is about and has very little bright colours, this makes it look dull."

Jess Holmes said "I like the way 'Empire' uses it colours to relate to the main article of 'the joker'. I like the font chosen in 'total film for Max Payne' it makes it look rough and like the film is based on destruction."

Joss Havakin said "Both magazines look professional because of their constuctions, both have clear mastheads, include bar codes and well-known actors in the picture."

Euan Kearney said "Both magazines use the words 'world exclusive' and 'plus' it sounds unique and better than the competition. Both magazines still have dead space in them which is a real negative."

Sam Coomber said "The picture for 'total film' is brilliant it really helps see the genre of the film and catches the audience's attention


Next I asked them to give me feedback on the posters below;























Harriet Beeton said: "I like how the 'this is England' poster shows all the awards its won across the top of the poster, it makes it look like its a good film and worth watching." she went on to say "I can easily identify the genre of 'Adulthood' because of the baseball bat its symbolises crime and aggression."

Sam Coomber said: "I don't like the shot in 'This is England' it is too far away, it is hard to identify the characters and the costumes in contrast to 'Adulthood' which has a much closer shot. I do like how the heading for 'This is England' is in white red and blue this shows that it is a British film because the colours relate to the United Kingdom flag."

Tomas Keavney said: "I love how both posters use costume/mise-en-scene to express the genre of the film when it was made, for example this is England characters have Dr Martins on and skinny jeans, this is typical 80s clothes, whilst Adulthood has the characters wearing hoodies and trakies showing youth, 'gangsta' crime."

My primary research is very different from my secondary mainly because the questions I asked gave different answers compared to what I recorded in my secondary research. Also my focus group was people of similar age to me, my secondary research may have been based upon people of a different age, class and perception on things so I am not surprised by the fact that my research was different. I believe my secondary research is more accurate because I relied on well-known companies who have put a lot more thought and time into their records so are probably more accurate and useful than mine. But I am happy with the research I have come up with because it will effect my product in a positive way, I now have identified my target audience clearly and this gives me more food for thought. I can attract them because I know what they are interested in and what they would like to see in my products.


Mood board- I produced a mood board on photoshop which is shown below, it helped me get to know my audience better and understand which will attract them to my products more effectivly. This will effect my final products because I now know what my audience want to see in terms of costume. The mood board was created based upon what my adueince research produced, I included pictures based upon their hobbies and what they enjoy.







1 comment:

Nicola Naisbett said...

I would like you tod evelop this further. You have a good base here but;

-how did you come up with these questions?
-did secondary research inform your primary research? if so, how?
-What about asking specific technical questions? (think about cinematpgrpahy, sound, editing and mise-en-scene)
-what about narrative? Think themes, binary oppositions?
-what do they think about representation?

Then tell me, in detail, what your ideas are and how they are developing.