Saturday 31 July 2010

Sourcing the Copyright for my Soundtrack


Based on my primary research, the favourite genre of music was hip/hop, so I thought carefully about a song from this genre which best compliments my plans for the trailer. I came to the conclusion that the best song to use is 'Tinnie Tempah's' song 'Pass Out.' This song is very up- beat and fasted paced, it represents the hectic lifestyles of the characters. I think the song will be used throughout the trailer but at different volume levels, the volume will be lower when more important scenes/situations are shown. To get the copy right for this track I firstly had to find the record label which he is signed to. I located his record label on MySpace, it is 'DL Records'. Their logo is shown on the right. I then found an email address which I used to contact them to see if I could use their song in my coursework, I then emailed the company to see if I could use their product. If I receive no reply from the email then I can use the song. The email that I sent is located below....

Dear DL Records

I am an A level student and I am writing to request your permission to use one track from the album by 'Pass Out – EP’ made by the artist ‘Tinie Tempah.’

The track I wish to use is "Pass Out" on the album. With your permission this track would be used in my current A-Level Media Project, acting as a soundtrack, this involves creating a Film Trailer, as well as producing a poster for the film and a film magazine cover.

If I received your permission this track would be viewed by my peers, teachers and the OCR exam board, it would also be uploaded to a public video website in order for it to be embedded into my personal blog for research and planning.

The Artist and your Company would be fully recognised throughout pre-production and the final trailer itself. A copyright notice, with wording supplied by you can be included in the records of the project. If this is required, please send full details.

Yours Sincerely,

William Gardner

If the record label do not allow me to use their song then I would have to think of a back-up, I don't have one at the moment but if I need one then it would be of similar genre to 'Pass Out' so I can keep the representation the same as if I would be using my intended song. If worst comes to worst I will try to create a useful beat on Garage Band.

Issues surrounding soundtrack

I have just been informed (23rd September) that i am not allowed to use my proposed soundtrack ('Pass Out') for my production, this is due to the exam board not allowing me to use someone else's work. To overcome this problem, i will need to create my own soundtrack, i will do this on Garage Band and try to replicate the song which I intended to use.

1 comment:

Nicola Naisbett said...

Prior to this i would like to see how you've researched the music......how did you come up with this idea? DO you have a sample of the song. How and when would it be used based on research into other texts?

Is there a message behind your music choice. Do you have a back up plan if the label say no?