Monday 19 July 2010

Proposal of ideas

Based on my audience research, the genre I have chosen for my film is youth crime, my audience liked this genre so they would probably be interested in what I am producing. The story is about a teenager who is faced with hard decisions about his life, there are two sides to his personality, the side which is mum and dad see which is a good lad, who the parents should be proud of, but the other side is what his friends see, an aggressive and abusive teenager. He tries to cover these separate personalities to the different people in his life. But one day it all comes out and his almost secret identities are revealed and everything goes wrong for him. I won't include the rest of the story line in the trailer so the audience keeps wondering how these two different lives are going to collide and what are the effects of this. By ending on a cliff hanger like this the audience are asking a lot questions so persuades them to watch the trailer to answer the questions they have asked themselves after looking at the trailer. But for my film I will collide these twos lives by showing the main character being hand-cuffed and put into a police car with his mum and dad looking on, this leads to his mum and dad losing trust in their son and in turn their son gets out of control, his mum and dad try to turn him back into the boy they once knew and loved. The film is a lot about maturing and learning from mistakes, as the main character gets older the wiser, maturer and better behave he becomes, a lot of thanks going to his mum and dad for getting him out of the negative world he was once in. For the finale of the film we see the main character grow up to having a job, with him wearing a suit and looking a new man with a positive future.

I think this storyline is good because a lot of teenagers can relate to it. I believe that a lot of teenagers will have different personalities from when they see their friends in contrast to when they see their family. This is what I am trying to show with this film, I am also trying to illustrate the consequences of this spilt personality when the cover-up breaks down. I will try to show this split through mainly mise-en-scene, I will portray this main character with different costumes, locations and props between the times that he sees his family and when he meets up with his friends. To create a trailer for my film I will show direct shots, one after another, of him with the different groups of people in his life, this will show the audience straight away the contrast in personality, body language and characteristics of the main character in the film. I will do a voice over in the trailer in first person for the main character to show his perspective of the situation he is in so the audience can understand the storyline better. I will also try to show in my trailer both sides of the characters life but not when they collide with each other, this leaves the audience wanting questions to be answered and the only way they can be answered is if they go and see the film. The genre will be shown in the trailer via the use of mise-en-scene, the introduction of hooded-youths and baseball bats will give the audience ideas about what the genre is about because they presume and link the costume and props to the genre. To make the genre stronger and easier for the audience to identify, location needs to be thought about, the viewers won't believe it is a crime film if the characters live in mansions, deprived run-down areas will have to be used this will help the audience recognise the genre better. Therefore, I will have to include a lot of establishing shots in my trailer to help show the location.
The location will be picked wisely as well for the poster and the magazine cover because it has to look aesthetically pleasing and also professional. To make it look professional I will try to replicate the codes which I discovered in my research such as mastheads, sell line placement, colours, different shot types and many more characteristics of a magazine covers. For the poster I will try to show the genre of the film and help the audience decide if they want to see the film or not, I will try to accomplish this by showing a dramatic shot which is eye catching and help get possible viewers interested in seeing the film.
My film poster will try to contain the main character, I think I will use a close-up because it will help show the expressions of the character better. However, the disadvantage of this shot is that I can't show the costume of the character this is a problem because the audience need to see the genre of the film though mise-en-scene, and the costume is an important part of this. I will include a prop such as a baseball bat for the poster because it will represent the violence involved in the film. The name of the film will be in a big bold font so it stands out from the page so the audience can see it better. To make the poster more professional I will include the name of the producers and the actors involved in the film.
My magazine cover will have a masthead and sell lines, the masthead name will be catchy and easy to remember whilst the sell lines will be a good way of advertising the contents. More important information will be highlighted effectively via the use of underlining or put in a brighter, contrasting colour.The main picture will link to the main article in the magazine, the picture will have to be dramatic and different so the audience are interested in the article more positively. To make the cover look more professional I will include the price, date and bar-code, not only will this make it look better but also the audience will believe the information in the magazine is more reliable.
In my trailer I will try to attract people to the film but not give too much of the storyline away because I don't want people to know the outcome of the film before they have watched it. This is because they may not want to watch it any more based on the revealing advert. In my trailer I will try to introduce the main characters in the film so the audience feels part of it. The genre of the film will be shown mainly through mise-en-scene; the location, props and costume people will look at these three areas and identify the representation of youthful crime. This will also help the viewers make up their mind if the want to go and see the film or not because they will recognise the genre and maybe interested in that type of genre.

1 comment:

Nicola Naisbett said...

This is good. But tell me more about each product you'll be making......how do you intend to make it and why?

Think about narrative, genre and representation.....also, use the appropriate media language related to each product.

Basically, I should be able to read this post and picture in my head what you intend, at this stage, your products to look like.